Do you have someone in your life that is just absolutely crazy about all things data and all things science? Well look no further for gift inspiration, we have compiled a list of wonderful gifts that are sure to make them smile!
1. A classic gift you can’t go wrong with is a graphic t-shirt, and they can be very affordable. It’s also a good excuse to redress your family, friend or partner if their wardrobe is looking a bit outdated! The shirts we have selected vary between £20-£32 plus shipping.
2. Why not bring out the DIY side in your data scientist this Christmas and give them more of an organic project to work on? We can bet they spend countless nights up late programming so maybe they would enjoy growing their own coffee for just £14.48 including shipping.
3. If coffee isn’t their thing you could purchase a water bottle with a twist. The Thermos Smart Lid monitors water intake by connecting to either a smartphone or Fitbit. It provides a personal daily schedule to make sure your data scientist can stay hydrated for just £33.92.
4. Maybe they’re the kind of person that likes wind down away from the monitor and sit with a good book. Statistics Gone Wrong: The Woefully Complete Guide is an essential read displaying statistical blunders in modern science and how you can avoid making mistakes in your own work and research. You can grab a paperback copy for just under $20 on Amazon – or a Kindle edition for $16.75.
5. If those last few options don’t seem so appealing why not try something arty? You can purchase colourful handmade posters on sites like RedBubble. There is even an informative map of computer science you can purchase from £14.29 including shipping.
6. Not everyone has the luxury of working from home. Make sure they’re the coolest person in the office with a stainless coloured data scientist lunchbox for just under £30.
7. Help your fellow data scientist focus on the tasks at hand with some noise cancelling headphones. The cost can vary on this one depending on your price point, but we recommend the Sony WH1000XM3 wireless Bluetooth headphones for £329.95. They even won a What Hi-Fi? 2018 award.
8. Make them feel special this Christmas by telling them how you really feel with a World’s Greatest Data Scientist mug for £15.05. Zazzle’s website even lets you customise your gifts so why not put their name on it or a picture of you!
9. It might not seem like the most exciting present in the world, but everyone needs a new pair of socks ready for the new year… I promise they’ll thank you later they are covered in Big Data – literally!
10. Inject a little humour into their gifts this year with a funny tote bag from £12.95. It comes in several sizes. You could always chuck in a badge too for an extra £2.50 to make that bag extra special.
11. Brighten up their dinner table this Christmas with some quirky crockery. These plates aptly labelled ‘I eight sum pi’ are sure to make them laugh at $32.80 for a set of two – they sell matching bowls as well!
12. Github subscriptions are a fantastic gift, especially if money is an issue. Just choose how long you want to pay a subscription for and let them use it to their heart’s content.
13. If you want to get something that really sparkles how about some meaningful jewellery? You can get a Pythagoras necklace from £18.22 on Etsy. The seller Molecular Motifs has plenty of wonderful designs to choose from.
14. Notebooks and journals are a handy gift if your data scientist is always writing things down. You can get a cheap pack of three data related books for £7.69.
15. If you want to buy something truly unique, an EcoSphere is a lovely gift and also a great conversation starter. A perfect addition to any space, this self-sustaining eco-system is home to shrimp, algae, bacteria and active micro-organisms. Get them while they’re discounted! The average sized sphere is currently retailing at $59.99.
16. This final gift is guaranteed to deliver hours of fun and could even be a group project! FlyBrix are colourful Lego drones that have to be constructed and programmed before you can start flying. This present is crash safe and sells from $149.00.